One Taste and My Mother-In-Law Asked for the Recipe
I had thought I would be gone for just a quick errand. But after I left the house I received a call that my teen had forgotten his sports gear in the car and I needed to head back to the school. As I was leaving I remembered that I had ordered a book at Barnes and Noble and needed to pick it up across the town. Since I had driving to get the book, I figured I might as well stop at Costco which was nearby and get a few of the needed items from my list.
While at Costco, my teen called and asked if I could bring him something to eat. Long story short, I was SOO glad I had put this soup in the Crock Pot before I left the house.
Super Easy Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup.
- 3 whole Chicken Breasts
- 2 teaspoons Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- Salt And Pepper, to taste
- 1 whole Medium Onion, Chopped
- 1 whole Red Bell Pepper, Seeded And Chopped
- 1 whole Seeded Yellow Bell Pepper, Chopped
- 1 can (28 Ounce) Whole Or Diced Tomatoes, With Juice
- 1 can Rotel or diced tomatoes with chilies
- 4 cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 4 ounces, Tomato Paste
- 1 whole Chipotle Pepper In Adobo (may Add 2 To 3 If You’d Like)
- 1 can Black Beans, Drained And Rinsed
- 1 Lime, Juiced
- OPTIONAL TOPPINGS: Sour Cream, Avocado, Cilantro Leaves, Grated Cheese
- Place the chicken in the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle on the chili powder, cumin, and salt and pepper.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, tomatoes, chicken broth, tomato paste, chipotle, and black beans.
- Stir, place the lid on the slow cooker, and cook on high for 5 hours or high (or 8 hours on low.)
- Stir in the lime juice.
- Using 2 forks, break up the chicken into chunks (or you may shred it more fine.) Taste and add more salt if the soup needs it.
- Serve it piping hot in a bowl with avocado, sour cream, grated cheese, and cilantro leaves on top!
Quick Tip: Since this makes a large batch you might want to freeze half for later!
Image and recipe courtesy of Ree Drummond at The Pioneer Woman
Pages: 1 2