I’ll Have What She’s Having!
My husband is not a huge fan of ground turkey. I have tried to make things for him with it but it no longer worth it. So I use a super lean meat and add in ground chicken. For some reason the texture is a bit better and he doesn’t mind that combo so there you go. Ground chicken it is!
Skinny Taco Salad
- 2 Fajita-Size Flour Tortillas
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 pound 93% lean ground turkey ( or whatever meat you want to use)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 head romaine lettuce, roughly chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can reduced-sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (11-ounce) can Mexican-style corn, drained
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 medium, ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup reduced fat shredded sharp cheddar cheese or feta cheese
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
FOR THE SALSA YOGURT DRESSING:
- 1/4 cup of your favorite salsa
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- Place a rack in the center of your oven, and preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Coat a large rimmed baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Stack the tortillas and cut them in half, then slice each half into 1/2-inch strips. Scatter the strips in the middle of the prepared baking sheet.
- Drizzle with 1 teaspoon olive oil, then sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Toss to coat, then spread them into a single layer.
- Bake until golden brown and crisp, about 8 minutes, turning halfway through. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large, nonstick skillet, heat the remaining 1 teaspoon olive oil over medium high.
- Add the turkey, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Break up the meat and stir with a spoon until it is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir together the salsa and Greek yogurt to make the dressing.
- Place the romaine in a large serving bowl.
- Top with 1/4 cup of the salsa-yogurt mixture, the turkey, black beans, corn, tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, cheese, and green onions.
- Toss lightly to combine, then sprinkle the tortilla strips over the top.
- Serve immediately with remaining salsa-yogurt dressing as desired.
Quick Tip: Short on time? Feel free to purchase your bag of favorite tortilla chips. I happen to love the lime chips. Perfect to crumble on top to add that extra crunch.
Photo and recipe courtesy of Erin at Well Plated.
Pages: 1 2